With the longer days and warmer weather, I think it is paramount to have some sort of salad in the fridge at all times--something that you can throw with a bit of protein, whether you're going to a BBQ or just need a light meal. This has been my "go-to" salad for the last 2 summers. What I love about it is that it's a quick and easy way to get veggies that we don't always incorporate into our regular meals, such as cabbage and beets. There are also many ways to add variety to this salad so that it never gets boring!
Here is my (loose) basic recipe:
1 (med-sized) head of green cabbage
1 (med-sized) head of red cabbage
3-5 med-sized carrots
3 (sm-med) beets
1-2 large handfuls of pepitas
1/2 cup raisins
2 ears corn (optional)
4 heaping tablespoons of Veganaise
1-2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 Tbsp Sea Salt, + more to taste
Juice from 1 lemon
1. Shred cabbage, carrots, and beets in a food processor. I usually have to do 2-3 batches, since 1 head of cabbage often fills the processor bowl.
2. Place Shredded veggies in large mixing bowl
3. Add Sea Salt and lemon juice and mix well.
4. Toast pepitas in frying pan over low-med heat, until golden brown and starting to "pop".
5. Add toasted pepitas and raisins to veggie bowl and mix well.
6. (Carefully!) cut corn kernels off cob and into veggie bowl.
7. Add Veganaise (they make several varieties, depending on if you use Soy or if you want added flavors), Dijon and season with additional salt to taste.*
*you can also add fresh mint or other fresh herbs for additional flavor
This salad will keep in the fridge for several days and can be added to any meal for a healthy "go-with"!